We are proud to represent a solid blue district in the state of Arizona whose residents comprise the most diverse community of any district in the state. We have some of the largest populations of refugees, and immigrants with over 50 different languages spoken in the district. We know our diversity is our strength and recognize that there is an ongoing relationship between race and ethnicity and poverty not only in our state, but nationwide as well. That relationship is derived from a history of systemic barriers to opportunity for people of color that has led to the disparity in access to education, housing and healthcare that we are fighting to change.
These obstacles remain embedded in policies that leave people of color far behind. Our district has the lowest median income of any district in the entire state and some of the largest disparities in healthcare in the entire nation. Our mission is to continue to address these barriers and strengthen our systems and policies so that all of the members in our community have access to the education, healthcare, and the economic security they need to flourish.
•Support fully funded equitable public education
• Support DACA and all DACA students
•Advocate for increased public education funding
• Support universal free meals program
• Support English Language Learning for all and ESL for adults
• Support universal, equitable, free public education from Pre-K to PhD, Community College, Certified Apprenticeship, and Skilled Trade Training for everyone
• Ensure schools have adequate supplies, infrastructure, technology, and other resources
• Advocate for comprehensive sex education
•Establish healthcare as a basic human right
•Work to end poverty
The Maricopa County Black Engagement Committee exists to elevate and build Black political influence in Arizona. We do so by increasing engagement, participation, and voter registration and turnout of African American voters in the political process.